Is there anything better than a delicious, tall pancake to start the day with?
These pancakes are the fluffiest pancakes to ever exist and have been a huge hit with everyone who has tried them. I would love to claim the recipe but it was adapted from “Coleen´s Recipes” many many years ago who had named them “The best pancakes ever” in her blog. And hands down, she was very accurate in her claim. I made a few changes to the original recipe over the years but the trick she shared to making the pancakes fluffier still holds, i.e. the soured milk and the consistency of the batter.
Keeping the basics in mind, here are my best tips for you to making perfect pancakes every time.
- Always make sure the leavening agents (baking soda, baking powder) youre using are fresh and not expired or opened for too long!
- Sift the dry ingredients through a fine sieve to get rid of the possible lumps!
- Use vinegar to make soured milk !
- Resist stirring and over-mixing!
Even if you see big lumps and the batter looks very thick, do not be tempted to stir. Allow the leavening agents to work with the soured milk and produce carbon dioxide gas which will then be trapped in the pancakes while cooking, making them rise to heights of fluffiness. Allow the batter to rest for a while and then use straight away without stirring! Yes, my dears, that exactly is the science behind the tall, airy, fluffy pancakes that make you drool like a hungry puppy!
You can serve plain or with :
- maple syrup
- butter and honey
- powdered sugar-cinnamon blend
- lemon curd
- fruit compote
- chocolate spread
The Best Pancakes Ever !
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tbsp white vinegar 5 % acidity
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar or few drops of vanilla essence
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- salt a pinch
- 1 egg M
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Combine milk with vinegar to make soured milk and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Sieve together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add in sugar, vanilla sugar, salt and mix with a spoon.
- Add the melted butter and the beaten egg to the soured milk.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and fill with the liquid mixture.
- Stir just until MOST of the lumps have dissolved but DO NOT OVERMIX. Few lumps and traces of dry ingredients are GOOD!
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- DO NOT stir!
- Heat and butter a frying pan /skillet and place about 1/4 cups batter on it.
- Use the back side of a spoon to spread the thick mixture towards the edges.
- Cook until you see bubbles appearing on the top.
- Carefully flip with a large spatula and cook further until golden brown.
- Serve warm with butter, honey, lemon curd, maple syrup, powdered sugar-cinnamon blend or any preserve of your choice.
- Soured milk is essential to the success of this recipe. Don´t skip that as vinegar activates the baking soda.
- The recipe makes 8 small pancakes or 5 medium ones enough to feed 3 people. You can double or even triple as per your requirement.
- No matter what, avoid mixing or thinning the batter. Stirring or pouring deflates the batter and won´t allow your pancakes to rise to fullest.
- Use medium sized egg and not large.
Perfect recipe! The pancakes were so fluffy and tasted amazing. My kids devoured them without adding anything! Thank you