Shadion Wala steam roasted chicken has always been considered a quintessential item on the wedding menus in the central and lower Punjab areas of Pakistan.
With a little apprehension, I am sharing this super easy and very treasured recipe passed down to me from my mother who got it from her mother.
The very spicy yet super delicious roast is generally made in a big cooking vessel called Degh which is normally used to preparing food in bulk for special occasions. Multiple pieces of marinated chicken leg quarters or mini whole chicken are steamed together in one degh for hours, rendering the meat tender and succulent. Just thinking of its flavor has me salivating !
What if you don´t have a degh?
I myself can´t afford having a degh in Germany nor do I have the time and patience to wait for hours, so here is my little tweak on the cooking method: Use a pressure cooker or Insta Pot and eventually broil in oven.
Does it have to be chicken meat?
Yes! And that too preferably with bones. The larger the pieces, the better.
What to do with the left-overs?
There will hardly be any! Just in case you do end up having any, debone the meat and freeze. It´s ideal for making sandwiches and pastry fillings.
Shadiwala Steam Roasted Chicken
- 1,5 kg whole skinned chicken
- 3 green chilis
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp ginger
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 Tbsp dried fenugreek kasuri methi
- 1/2 tsp orange food color zarda rang
- 2 tsp tikka masala
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp vinegar white or black
- 3 Tbsp clarified butter desi ghee
- Process chilis, garlic and ginger into a fine paste.
- Add all the spices.
- Combine together to make a dry spice rub.
- Cut slits into the chicken meat and thoroughly massage with the spice blend.
- Sprinkle lemon juice on top. Cover!
- Marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Take 1 cup water in the pressure cooker or Instapot.
- Add vinegar.
- Place a wire rack inside the cooking vessel.
- Carefully place the marinated chicken on the rack.
- Close the lid and set the valve to "sealed".
- Set the timer and allow to cook. See notes!
- Release excess pressure carefully. Transfer the chicken to a baking dish.
- Apply clarified butter and broil in oven on highest temperature for 5 min.
- Serve with mint-yoghurt or plum chutney.
- You can replace whole chicken with leg quarters.
- The cooking time varies depending on what cooking vessel you´re using to steam the chicken:
- Regular cooking pot : 30 - 40 min
- Pressure cooker: 6 min after the pressure has developed
- Instant Pot: 15 min on pressure cook mode
- Make sure to wait for a min or two before releasing the extra pressure.