It’s velvety, it´s creamy and also has a crunch.
It´s refreshing, it´s cooling and has a sweet touch.
It´s garlicy but smells like perfume.
It´s MAST-O-KHIYAR !!!!
Alone the name of it makes me comfortable. It´sounds so romantic and noble!
This yoghurt and cucumber based Persian dip has everything that you need to add an extravagant touch to your meal. From the freshness of yoghurt and cucumbers to a pleasant sweet chew from the raisins, a little crunch from the nuts and an attractive rose petal garnish to please the visual senses.
So, let´s get started:
What do you need?
Thick yoghurt, cucumber, some crunchy nuts, some raisins, rose petals. Garlic is optional. Salt and pepper I always have on hand. I’m betting that you do too!
What if you don´t have all ingredients?
You do need at least yoghurt and cucumber to start off with.
Rest is all up to your imagination. Pistachios are not easily accessible everywhere so a smattering of chopped walnuts would also do well here. The raisins can be replaced with sweetened cranberries, currants or sultanas. Dried mint adds a wonderful flavour but so does the fresh one. But again, its entirely up to you.
Fact is: It comes together very easily and very quickly.
What to serve with?
Mast-o-Khiyar is delicious all by itself, but also makes a wonderful accompaniment for other dishes, grilled meat or veggies in particular. It’d also be lovely with rice pilaf or fried snacks.
If you try making Mast-o-Khiyar, be sure to leave a comment and rating here! Your feedback is always super helpful for me and other readers who are planning to try the recipe. And if you take a photo, do tag me on Instagram @chef_on_rhine and use the hashtag #chefonrhine because I love seeing your remakes! Long live the love for good food!
- 500 g thick yoghrt preferably Greek
- 1 large cucumber or 2 medium
- 1 clove minced garlic optional
- 4 tsp dried mint
- 1/2 cup raisins
- salt, pepper
- 1/2 cup pistachios / walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried rose petals
- Grate the cucumber, sprinkle some salt and allow to sit for 10 min. Squeeze out water.
- Add the grated cucumber and minced garlic (if using) to yoghurt.
- Also add in the raisins and season with salt and pepper.
- Rub 3 tsp mint in the hands and fold in the yoghurt.
- Shortly before serving, decorate with rose petals, 1 tsp mint and pistachios.