Probably not the most appetizing name for a dish, but this dinner party and feed-the-family chicken recipe has been in our family for decades and is everyone’s absolute favourite.
Ketchup is the star ingredient, brings a perfect balance of sweet, sour and salty taste and also works as a flavour booster.
What Ingredients to Use?
- Chicken : Preferably without skin and with bones. I like using thighs and legs and cut them in small pieces. You could also use filet pieces if you prefer no barriers to getting all the meat at once.
- Ketchup: Sweet and tangy tomato ketchup takes center stage in this uncomplicated recipe.
- Vinegar: Cooking the chicken in vinegar helps in tenderizing meat, cuts down on cooking time, and allows you store chicken for a little longer in the fridge if you end up not serving it the day you cook it.
- Whole spices: black cardamoms, cinnamon and black pepper corns will not only add flavour but also a very pleasant aroma.
- Chili flakes: Can also be substituted with chili powder.
Some Tips to Remember:
- If you plan to serve the chicken later, cook to the stage where the water is evaporated. Add ketchup and chili flakes and set aside. Shortly before serving, finish off cooking on high heat.
- Don’t add chili flakes (or chili powder) at the beginning. Cooking them with vinegar gives a very strong flavour whereas adding them with the ketchup provides the perfect tongue-tingling warmth that is neither too hot nor bland.
More Chicken Recipes from Chef on Rhine:
- Green chili infused chicken
- Chicken Gyros – Quick and Easy
- Shadiowala Steam Roast
- The best Chicken Satays Ever
- Quick Chicken Shawarma
Do You Plan to Make this Chicken Recipe?
A step by step tutorial can be viewed in my Insta highlights. Do have a look before you start cooking!
If you have tried this recipe, I would love to see your feedback. Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate!
And if you take a photo of your Ketchup galzed Chicken, do send me a photo @chef_on_rhine and use the hashtag #chefonrhine because I love seeing your remakes!
Ketchup glazed Chicken
- 1200 g chicken with bones
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 small stick cinnamon
- 1 tsp black pepper corns
- 2 black cardamoms
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- Take all ingredients except ketchup and chili flakes in a cooking pot and cook until chicken is done and water has evaporated.
- Add ketchup and chili flakes and cook uncovered on high flame until chicken is coated with the ketchup glaze.