Quick Chicken Shawarma with Raisin Rice
Quick and easy homemade Chicken Shawarma and Raisin Rice recipe. Bring the bold flavours of Middle Eastern cuisine into your kitchen in a unique way!
- 700 g boneless chicken cut into strips
- 3/4 cup thick yogurt
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice / white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp crushed black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1/2 tsp green cardamom powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tsp allspice powder
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium sized onions sliced or cut in circles
- 2 medium sized tomatoes chopped or thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 400 g basmati rice
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 black cardamoms
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 700 ml water
- 1/2 cup raisins or sultanas
Mix all the spices in the yogurt, add lemon juice, olive oil and marinate the chicken strips in it for at least 30 minutes.
Heat the skillet, add some chicken and fry on high medium heat until all juices from the marinade are cooked off.
Add some olive oil, if needed!
Cook entire chicken in batches and keep warm in a covered pot.
You can also spread the chicken on a baking tray and broil in oven for a few min (after cooking in skillet) for a crispier variant.
Add parsley once the chicken is done.
Wash and soak rice in cold water for 30 min. Drain the excess water.
Heat oil in a big cooking pan. Fry onion slices until translucent.
Add all the spices.
Add salt and water and bring to a boil.
Carefully add the rice and allow to come to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium and the rice absorb all the liquid.
Turn the heat to lowest. Add raisins on top and cover the pan tightly with lid.
Carefully open the lid after 5-10 minutes and toss the rice gently with a fork. DO NOT stir!
Spread a layer of prepared rice on the serving plate.
Make a well in the centre and fill it with the shawarma chicken.
Serve with tahini yoghurt. See recipe in notes!
- You can use chicken thigh meat instead of filet. That is more flavourful.
- You can also bake the chicken instead of cooking in skillet.
- Do not stir the rice too often. That breaks the beautiful fragile grains.
- For the optional sauce : Mix 1 cup yoghurt + 4 tbs tahini paste + salt + pepper. Add a little lemon juice in case the yoghurt itself is not sour enough.